Sore Throat Treatment in West Hartford, CT
A sore throat can be caused by low humidity, smoking, air pollution, yelling, and nasal drainage. But the most common cause by far is a viral infection, such as the common cold or flu. If so, the pain, scratchiness, irritation, and difficulty swallowing will usually go away within a few days without medical treatment.
A less common but more serious type of sore throat is caused by a bacterial infection (group A Streptococcus). This condition, which is known as strep throat, may require prescription antibiotic treatment to help prevent complications, such as kidney inflammation and rheumatic fever.
If you need relief from a persistent sore throat, turn to PhysicianOne Urgent Care. Our experienced and caring team has been serving residents of and visitors to West Hartford, Connecticut, since 2008 and we’re pleased to provide effective sore throat treatment and other non-emergency urgent care services on a walk-in basis.
Treatment Options for a Sore Throat
At PhysicianOne Urgent Care, we can perform a simple test to detect streptococcal bacteria, the cause of strep throat. The rapid strep test, which we perform and process in our on-site lab, can detect certain antigens that are produced by the body’s immune system to help fight off strep bacteria. Based on the results of the test, which are available within minutes, we can determine whether antibiotic treatment is appropriate.
Regardless of the cause of your sore throat, these at-home remedies can help you manage your discomfort:
- Get plenty of sleep – You’ll feel better if you rest your body and your voice.
- Stay hydrated – Drink warm liquids such as clear broth and caffeine-free tea with honey to help keep your throat moist and prevent dehydration, which can result from fever.
- Gargle with saltwater – Mix ¼ teaspoon of table salt with 8 ounces of warm water, then gargle with the solution and spit it out.
- Humidify the air around you – Use a cool-air humidifier to eliminate dry air that may aggravate your sore throat.
- Avoid airborne irritants – Stay away from cigarette smoke and cleaning product fumes.
If you’re concerned about your sore throat, stop by our urgent care center in West Hartford whenever it’s most convenient for you—we’re open 365 days per year during extended hours. Or, to learn more, contact PhysicianOne Urgent Care today.