Muscle Strains Treated on a Walk-In Basis in Hamden, CT
A muscle strain, or pulled muscle, occurs when a muscle is overworked and some of its fibers tear. This type of injury can strike suddenly if a muscle is stretched beyond its limits, such as during a bout of heavy lifting. It can also develop gradually due to poor posture or repetitive movements, such as those involved in running. As such, muscle strains are common injuries that affect people of all ages and fitness levels.
A mild-to-moderate muscle strain will usually heal on its own within a few weeks, but a more severe injury may require professional medical treatment, which you can receive at PhysicianOne Urgent Care. At our walk-in urgent care center in Hamden, Connecticut, we offer comprehensive diagnostic and treatment services for muscle strains and other non-life-threatening injuries.
How Do You Know if You Have a Muscle Strain?
You can strain a muscle in your neck, shoulder, hand, lower back, thigh, calf, or just about anywhere else in your body. Depending on the severity of the tear, you may experience:
- Muscle pain, swelling, tenderness, and stiffness
- Skin redness and bruising
- Muscle weakness
- Muscle cramps and spasms
How Are Muscle Strains Treated?
If you have severe pain, numbness, or tingling sensations in your injured muscle, you should seek prompt medical attention. Otherwise, you can safely begin your muscle strain treatment at home with traditional “PRICE” therapy, which involves:
- Protecting your injury to prevent further damage
- Resting to avoid movements that cause or worsen your pain
- Icing your sore muscle several times a day for 20 minutes at a time to alleviate painful inflammation
- Compressing your strained muscle with an elastic bandage to help reduce swelling
- Elevating your affected limb above heart level to help drain excess fluid away from the injury site
Additionally, you can take an over-the-counter pain reliever such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen as needed.
If you would like to see a medical provider for muscle strain treatment, you are welcome to visit PhysicianOne Urgent Care in Hamden. Stop by at your convenience or contact us to learn more about our urgent care services.