The Many Health Benefits of Berries
They may be small, but berries pack a significant punch that can greatly improve health by reducing the risk of disease. Bright, colorful and sweet, these delicious super fruits are loaded with fiber and essential vitamins. They also contain powerful antioxidants that can help your body fight oxidative stress caused by free radicals.
Counting the Many Berry Health Benefits
Study after study has shown that people who eat berries enjoy longer, healthier lives. Among the most compelling include:
- Research has shown the anthocyanins in strawberries may help protect the nervous system and blood vessels.
- Studies suggest that blueberry extract could improve balance, memory and coordination.
- There is strong evidence that raspberries may help prevent esophageal and liver cancer, while also helping to control blood sugar in diabetics.
- Blackberries contain high levels of phytochemicals linked to a reduced risk of cancers of the liver, colon, lung and esophagus.
- Studies suggest that blueberries may also serve as a powerful preventive method for cognitive decline.
- Cranberries have been shown to help prevent urinary tract infections by preventing bacteria from binding to bladder tissue.
- A number of studies have shown that berry consumption can substantially reduce the risk of heart disease.
In addition to these incredible health benefits, berries have also been shown to protect against a number of other issues, including dementia, premature aging and even erectile dysfunction.
Adding Berries to Your Diet
Delicious and abundant, berries are a painless addition to any diet. Still, busy schedules can leave many people struggling to get enough on a daily basis. Fortunately, you can add a substantial antioxidant punch to your diet with the following strategies:
- Blend your berries into a quick, convenient smoothie.
- Carry dehydrated raisins, cherries and cranberries in your purse.
- Toss a few berries into your yogurt or morning oats.
- Use berries to add a burst of flavor to your salad.
- Use your food processor to make a delicious homemade fruit spread.
However you choose to do it, eating more berries can improve your health by warding off serious medical issues. At the same time, berries have been shown to improve mental function and reduce visible signs of aging. If you've been neglecting this important part of a healthy diet, take steps to increase your overall consumption and discover a flavorful path toward better health.