Spring Allergies Treatment
Countless people experience a range of agonizing symptoms related to spring allergies. While many find relief from over-the-counter medications, others prefer a more natural approach. If allergies have left you feeling less than perfect, learn how to minimize symptoms with some targeted lifestyle changes.
Things to Avoid
When trying to fend of spring allergies, it’s important to avoid stimuli which can bring on or exacerbate attacks. To reduce your symptoms, take the following steps:
- Avoid alcohol. By dilating blood vessels within the nose, alcohol can worsen hay fever and asthma.
- Reduce your stress. Studies indicate that stress can worsen allergy symptoms by increasing the body’s levels of allergy-triggering proteins.
- Stay inside after thunderstorms. Because they stir up pollen, storms can make allergy symptoms much worse in the short-term.
- Go light on hair products. By making your hair sticky, hair styling gels act like pollen-attracting magnets.
- Clean your fans. By propelling dust into the air, fans can aggravate allergies. Be sure to regularly clean the blades to minimize problems.
- Don’t over-water plants. Moist soil is a breeding ground for allergy-causing mold and mildew.
- Take a shower before bedtime. This will rinse pollen and other allergens from your body and prevent them from accumulating in your bed.
- Keep your pets clean. Bathe your pets regularly to clean allergens from their fur.
- Dehumidify your home. Moist air can increase the dust mite population in your home. Combat this by reducing your interior humidity by round 40 to 45 percent using a dehumidifier. You can also improve air quality in your home by using an air filtration unit equipped with a HEPA filter.
When to See a Doctor
For some people, allergies can be a major problem that can lower the quality of life. If you are having significant problems managing your allergies, visit PhysicianOne Urgent Care. Our providers can evaluate your allergy symptoms and help provide relief. Our centers are open 7 days/week with extended hours so you can find relief from spring allergies faster this season.