Healthy Winter Comfort Foods
Healthy Winter Comfort Foods to Please Your Entire Family
As the weather turns colder, Americans look forward to traditional holiday meals that expand their waistlines. If you'd like to treat your family to something a little healthier, these two deliciously nutritious comfort foods provide an ideal blend of flavor, nourishment and warmth.
Cauliflower Mashed “Potatoes”
This inventive take on traditional mashed potatoes will tempt your palate and change the way you look at cauliflower.
- 1/3 cup Smart Balance Fat Free Milk and Omega-3s
- 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- Pepper and salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of minced chives
- 2 tablespoon of Smart Balance® Butter and Canola Oil Blend
- 1 tablespoon of minced parsley
Boil the cauliflower until it's soft. Drain the water from the pot. Add butter, milk, pepper and salt. Puree in a blender. Add herbs and serve warm.
Winter is chili season, and with three varieties of nutritious beans, this flavorful recipe will have your family feeling healthy and satisfied.
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon of Smart Balance Cooking Oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 eight-ounce cans tomato sauce, low sodium
- 2 ten-ounce cans diced tomatoes, with chilies
- 15-ounce can salt-free chickpeas, drained
- 15-ounce can salt-free kidney beans, drained
- 15-ounce can salt-free black beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- Pinch of salt
Brown ground beef in a heavy skillet, breaking it into small bits while cooking. Drain the grease and set the beef aside. Add cooking oil to the skillet and set the temperature to medium. Add onions and cook until soft. Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beans, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Mix well. Add beef to the skillet and bring the contents to a boil. Lower the temperature and let the chili simmer for two hours.