COVID-19 Bivalent Booster: What You Need to Know
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized updated COVID-19 vaccine booster shots from Moderna and Pfizer that target the Omicron BA.5 variant. To help you keep your family safe, we have broken down some of the most pressing questions we have received from patients:
How are these boosters different from past vaccines?
- The updated boosters now provide protection from both the original COVID-19 strain as well as the recent Omicron variants (as opposed to just the original COVID-19 strain).
- Because they now have this additional component, they are expected to provide better protection from the currently circulating variant as well as potential variants that develop over time.
Who is eligible to receive a single booster dose and when?
- Both the Moderna and Pfizer bivalent boosters are to be used at least two months after an individual has completed their primary series, or at least 2 months from a prior booster.
- The Moderna booster can be used in individuals 18 years of age and older.
- The Pfizer-BioNTech booster can be used in individuals 12 years of age and older.
How can I get my booster?
- Although PhysicianOne Urgent Care will not be carrying these boosters, you can visit vaccines.gov to find a vaccination site near you.
What are the side effects of the booster?
- Reported side effects are similar to those of the initial COVID vaccination course and should resolve within 24-48 hours. The most common side effects include:
- Pain at the injection site
- Low-grade fever
- If you experience these side effects and need help or if any symptoms are prolonged, our clinical team is happy to help. Please visit us or reserve your visit ahead of time.
I've been feeling sick, should I get tested before I get my booster?
- If you haven’t been feeling well, our experts recommend testing for viruses like COVID-19 or the flu. If you have recently been exposed to COVID-19, be sure to check out the updated COVID-19 guidelines to see what these changes mean for you.
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, the PhysicianOne team is here to keep you in the loop with everything you need to know. Our walk-in urgent care centers are open every day of the year, and we offer virtual visits to ensure you can receive the medical attention you need whenever and wherever you need it. We provide stress-free walk-in care to help you feel better, faster. Visit one of our centers or schedule a 24/7 telehealth visit today!