Can Urgent Care Refer You to a Specialist?
Yes! An urgent care provider can indeed refer you to a medical specialist if your health concern warrants treatment that is beyond the scope of a general practitioner’s expertise. A medical specialist is a physician who has undergone additional training in a particular medical specialty, such as:
- Cardiology – Cardiologists specialize in addressing conditions that affect the heart and blood vessels, such as high blood pressure and irregular heartbeat.
- Dermatology – Dermatologists are uniquely trained to treat skin conditions like acne, skin allergies, and abnormal skin growths.
- Endocrinology – Endocrinologists focus on conditions that deal with hormones and metabolism, including diabetes, infertility, and thyroid disorders.
- Gastroenterology – You may be referred to a gastroenterologist if you experience an issue with your digestive tract that results in abdominal pain, jaundice, or changes in bowel habits.
- Gynecology – Gynecologists focus exclusively on female reproductive health issues and perform pelvic “well-woman” exams.
- Hematology – A hematologist specializes in diagnosing and treating disorders of the blood, lymph glands, and spleen.
- Neurology – Neurologists focus on conditions that affect the nervous system, which involves complex structures like the spinal cord, brain, and nerves.
- Orthopedics – An orthopedist (orthopedic specialist) is trained to treat musculoskeletal issues like osteoarthritis, sciatica, and complex bone fractures.
- Otolaryngology – Also known as an ENT specialist, an otolaryngologist deals with conditions that affect the ears, nose, throat, or sinuses.
- Pediatrics – A pediatrician is uniquely trained to care for babies, children, teens, and young adults through age 21.
- Urology – Urologists are experts in the urinary tract and can address male infertility and prostate issues.
Our Approach to Medical Specialist Referrals
Convenient hours, friendly service, and 24/7 telemedicine aren’t the only reasons why PhysicianOne Urgent Care is a premier choice for walk-in medical treatment in communities throughout Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York. Our affiliation with Tufts Medical Center and Yale New Haven Health sets us far apart from the average “doc-in-a-box” . We don’t simply patch up bumps and bruises and send patients on their way—instead, our support extends beyond the traditional urgent care visit to include:
- Dedicated nurse aftercare
- Thorough explanations of lab and test results
- Specialist referral appointment coordination (when clinically appropriate)
PhysicianOne Urgent Care leverages our partnerships with Tufts Medical Center and Yale New Haven Health to ensure patients can consult with world-class specialists as efficiently as possible. Our team seamlessly arranges appointments and coordinates the transfer of medical information between providers to eliminate hassle for patients. Additionally, we’ve joined forces with CHE Behavioral Health Services to offer expedited access to mental health professionals within 24 to 48 hours of contact (currently available only in Connecticut and New York).
We’ve Got You
PhysicianOne Urgent Care team is here to take the stress out of healthcare. To learn more about our all-in-one urgent care services and approach to specialist referrals, contact our friendly professionals today at 1-860-650-3848, or just stop by the location nearest you. We are in-network with most health insurance providers and offer sensible self-pay rates.