8 Big Reasons Healthy Gums and Teeth Are So Important
Maintaining a healthy smile isn’t just about vanity; it’s an essential part of your overall health routine. If you’ve ever had a root canal, you know just how unpleasant and expensive poor dental hygiene can be. That said, many people are surprised to learn the many other benefits associated with brushing and flossing. If you’ve ben neglecting your dental health, learn why it’s so important to have healthy gums and teeth.
A Myriad of Benefits
Most people underestimate the far-reaching impact oral hygiene can have on their bodies. Consider the following reasons why healthy gums and teeth matter so much:
- Research indicates that people who have gum disease are at a greater risk of developing diabetes.
- Studies have also shown a potential link between gum disease and heart disease.
- A growing body of research suggests a link between advanced gum disease and certain forms of cancer.
- Maintaining good oral hygiene can prevent the formation of plaque that can lead to painful cavities and tooth decay.
- Root canals, cavity fillings and other comprehensive dental work can be extremely expensive.
- Dental appointments and procedures can take time out of your schedule, resulting in lost productivity.
- Strong teeth and gums promote health by allowing people to consume a greater diversity of foods.
Improving Self Confidence
In addition to providing a number of key health benefits, a healthy smile can have a considerable impact on how people perceive you. According to numerous studies, people with whiter, healthy smiles tend to enjoy greater financial and social success. Ultimately, a bright, healthy smile can have a big impact on how you feel about yourself. It can also go a long way toward improving your overall physical well-being as you continue to age.