The internet is filled with big claims about how certain products and home-remedies can boost immune function. Unfortunately, the vast majority of these claims are either false or unproven. Build a more robust immune system with the following tips:
1. Don’t smoke. A mountain of research has shown that tobacco products can lead to fatal health outcomes. At the same time, studies have also found that tobacco can have a negative impact on general immunity. If you smoke, consider quitting to help protect your health now and in the future.
2. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Countless studies have shown that fruits and vegetables can help reduce blood pressure and cholesterol levels, while also boosting the health of our blood vessels and immune systems. Research also suggests that healthy produce may reduce DNA damage, which can slow aging and lower your cancer risk.
3. Exercise regularly. Research has drawn a compelling link between regular exercise and increased immune function. That said, studies have also shown that very intense exercise can temporarily depress the immune system. To get optimal benefits from exercise, try to get in regular cardio and strength training.
4. Minimize stress. Experts have shown that stress can make our immune systems less effective. If stress has you feeling run down, consider meditation or mindfulness strategies.
5. Maintain a healthy weight. There is good evidence that overweight people are less resilient to infections. If you want to have a stronger immune system, consider dropping a few pounds, especially if your BMI is high.
6. Drink alcohol only in moderation. Too much alcohol can have a negative impact on your immune system, leaving you more susceptible to illness.
7. Get adequate sleep. A growing body of research has linked insufficient sleep to serious medical issues, including dementia, cancer and heart disease. Studies have also shown that inadequate sleep can seriously compromise immune function. If you aren’t getting between seven and nine hours of sleep each night, try to get in bed earlier.
Despite our best efforts, even the healthiest people get sick. Whether it’s a cold, the flu or a twisted ankle, PhysicianOne Urgent Care is here 7 days a week for high-quality urgent care, at the fraction of the cost of an Emergency Room visit. Contact us at 1.855.349.2828. If you’re looking to save some time, find a location near you and check-in online today!